Affordability, academics, community service: Just a few reasons to choose Scecina
This article by President Joe Therber was originally posted on March 14, 2019.
We know families are serious about education. For a great reason. It is the path to becoming a well-rounded citizen of the world. While I can’t begin to list all of the many excellent reasons to choose Scecina, I’ll list a few here:
- We’re affordable for your family. We offer a range of impactful financial assistance for which most students qualify, including tuition discounts for participating Catholics and/or for students from Catholic schools, the Indiana state voucher, merit scholarships, and need-based financial assistance.
- We provide high-level academics that prepare students for college and professional success, such as Honors classes, 11 Advanced Placement and five dual-credit courses. Students participate in extra-curricular activities that supplement classwork, such as the Academic Super Bowl, which tests student knowledge in college-level subjects. By the way, our Academic Super Bowl team just won the Indiana Crossroads Conference championship and is looking forward to the rest of the spring competition season. Also, at Scecina, students have the opportunity to enroll in our biomedical sciences program in partnership with national STEM leader Project Lead the Way.
- We’re a tech-savvy school. Each student receives a school-owned computer. This investment helps students succeed academically, grow in digital proficiency, demonstrate effective communication skills, and use computer and mobile technology responsibly and ethically.
- We are a community that practices service to others. A Scecina education seeks to instill the values and virtue of service as part of a student’s lifelong identity. Starting next year, we are expanding our student community service program to connect more intentionally to the seven principles of Catholic social teaching. Beginning with the incoming freshman class, students will develop a community service portfolio before graduation.
- Our doors are open to all. Our student population reflects our welcoming atmosphere and the opportunity to interact with peers from around the globe. Scecina’s 2018-19 enrollment by ethnicity is: 46.1% white; 30% Hispanic; 13.3% African-American; 5.2% multi-racial; and 5.4% other. About 70 percent of our students are Catholic.
The above reasons, and more, are why Scecina, a great Catholic high school, has again been rated A by the Indiana Department of Education.
We invite you to become a member of the Scecina Community.
Posted on Fri, April 12, 2019
by Beth Murphy filed under