A time to say thanks and to look ahead to next school year
This week’s column is dedicated to thanking you and to looking forward. First, thank you for your support and involvement, which enrich our school and our students in so many ways.
For Scecina’s 62nd Commencement on May 25, we were honored to welcome the Most Rev. Charles C. Thompson, Archbishop of Indianapolis, as our special guest. The archbishop has many demands on his time, so Scecina was blessed that he was able to greet each member of the Class of 2018 and present their diplomas to them.
Looking forward to the 2018-19 school year, we’re planning several new and noteworthy initiatives:
- The administration and faculty will identify additional strategies to weave Catholic beliefs, history, and values into every subject area across the school.
- Scecina will be a 1:1 student technology school. We will issue a new school-owned computer to every student for his or her education throughout high school. Our focus is helping all students succeed academically, grow in their digital proficiency, demonstrate effective communication skills, and live by high ethical standards. We put in place the necessary technology infrastructure and professional development of teachers before introducing 1:1. Families will be asked to contribute a modest annual technology fee of $90, and students will complete a technology training session in late July or early August. Parents, please look for more information during the summer.
- We are raising funds and making plans to complete nearly $200,000 in physical safety improvements to the campus.
- We will announce an opportunity that will allow students who attain high attendance and academic performance results to choose to be exempt from a semester final examination(s).
- Computer Science curriculum and course offerings will expand with a focus on contemporary programming languages, current industry standards, and a foundational understanding of how the internet functions.
- We plan to purchase a new bus to transport Scecina teams and student clubs, and to assist East Deanery parishes and schools with their transportation when needed.
- We will continue to affirm our teachers by compensating them financially according to an increased salary model.
- Our new theater class will continue with lessons on the performance aspects and the technical aspects of theater. This course is a wonderful opportunity to learn about performing arts and enhance one’s communication skills.
During the coming week, we will send this information to parents via e-mail and U. S. mail; it will include tuition rates for the coming year.
Thank you very much for making annual and long-term improvements happen at Scecina. God has placed many wonderful gifts within the Scecina Community. I am grateful to be a part of it. Please feel free to contact me at email@example.com or at 317-352-3280 if I can assist you in any way.
Posted on Fri, May 18, 2018
by Beth Murphy filed under