Dear Parents and Guardians,
The Indiana Department of Education (IDOE) requires 180-days of school. Due to the closing of school on Wednesday, January 30, 2019, because of frigid temperatures, we need to make up that day to meet the mandatory 180-day requirement. We have communicated that the make-up day would be Monday, February 18, 2019.
The IDOE has given Scecina Memorial High School approval to utilize the eLearning Day Program to make up, at home, the missed day of school. We decided to conduct an at-home eLearning day on Monday because many families made plans for the holiday.
Many other Catholic elementary and high schools use eLearning days.
The faculty and staff have worked out the following guidelines for the eLearning Program Day.
1. Teachers will post assignments in Canvas on Friday, February 15, 2019, before 4:00 p.m. Posting the assignments on Friday gives students Friday evening, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday to complete them.
2. Teachers will have online office hours on Monday from noon until 3:00 p.m. so that students can chat with them, in Canvas, should they have any questions about their assignment.
3. Students must submit their assignments in Canvas by 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday, February 19, 2019. If a student does not upload their work by the deadline, the school will count them as unexcused and they will not get credit.
We understand that extenuating circumstances can prevent a student from turning in his or her assignments on time.
1. If it is a classroom issue, your student should contact his or her teacher online, in Canvas, and explain the situation before the deadline.
2. If the issue is technical, students may use the messaging system inside of Canvas to contact the Technology Department’s Service Desk or use the Hotline phone number, (317) 344-9891. Students should be sure to leave their contact information. Our Service Desk will work to resolve the issue on Monday during school hours. If contacted on Monday, our crew will respond to messages within an hour or less.