Giving thanks always for our blessings
Scecina's library was renovated over the summer and opened for students and others in October.
Thanksgiving has been an official American holiday since 1863. It was in the midst of a bitter civil war that President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a day of "Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens" and designated the last Thursday of November for this new national holiday.
Of course, faithful people of God always have been offering up thanks to Him.
“Give thanks to the Lord for he is good, His love endures forever,” says Psalms 118:1.
German theologian Meister Eckhart wrote, “If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough.”
I can’t add much more to these wise words. I would like, though, to name a few things for which I’m grateful:
- The youthful energy and spirit of Scecina’s students.
- The commitment and dedication of Scecina’s staff.
- The support of our community of parents, grandparents, alumni, friends and neighbors.
- The vision and hard work of everyone who made our new library a reality.
- The sacrifices of Father Thomas Scecina and all military veterans who protect our freedoms.
I am looking forward to a day with my family and time to remember our many blessings. I hope this shared day of Thanksgiving brings a spirit of unity for our nation. I wish you a joyful day with your own families and friends.
Posted on Wed, November 23, 2016
by Beth Murphy filed under