In Tune with Scecina’s Music Program
The music program has flourished under the direction of Donnie Glowinski. With 40 percent of students participating, it is one of the school’s largest programs. It has grown from offering Beginning Choir, Advanced Choir and Band to include Orchestra, Music Theory and Music History and Appreciation. The extracurricular Rock Band program is growing as well. It started with one band with six members and now includes three bands with 20 members.
“Aside from the numbers, the level of musicianship is also growing,” said Mr. Glowinski. “Students are starting to buy into the expectations that I have set forward and rising to the challenge of the music that I set. We are playing and singing pieces this year that we would not have been able to in past years.”
Mr. Glowinski is bringing in outside experts to listen, coach, and offer insight into the groups. Marian University professors are coaching the band and choirs while local violinist, composer and performer Cathy Morris is working with the orchestra.
Some musical highlights from this school year:
- The Pep Band performs at all home football games and some basketball games
- The Orchestra and Advanced choir played a sacred music concert at Little Flower Church. . They performed everything from “He’s Everything” and “When You Believe” to “Be Thou My Vision” and “Pie Jesu.” Mr. Glowinski hopes to continue this as an annual fall event, rotating at different East Deanery churches
- The Advanced Choir performed at the Marian Catholic Choral Festival
- The Beginning Choir, Advanced Choir, Orchestra and Concert Band each performed four or five pieces at the school’s Christmas Concert, showcasing the hard work they did during the first semester
- East Deanery Band festival: concert with partner grade schools (March)
- Indiana State School Music Association (ISSMA) contest: The band will perform in the ensemble contest for the first time (March)
- Scecina’s spring musical: Students will act, sing, play music, build sets, direct lighting and sound for this year’s production, “Into The Woods” (April 10 and 11)
- ICC Art Showcase at Cardinal Ritter High School: Scecina’s orchestra will provide entertainment (April 28)
- Spring Music Concert at Scecina (May 17)
Posted on Thu, February 26, 2015
by Beth Murphy filed under