Looking Forward | Improvements and Expansions
We understand that one of the unique features of a Scecina Memorial education is a personalized, Catholic Christian school environment. This environment fosters acceptance, compassion, and respect for the diversity that is among us. Personalizing attention, appreciating our students’ unique God-given gifts, teaching to foster academic success, and providing opportunities for students to grow in God’s plan for them are what we do best.
Listening to the members of our school community and addressing their needs is an important part of this personalized approach to education. Therefore, I am pleased to announce the following improvements and expansions that you can expect for the 2014-2015 school year:
- Scecina Memorial will begin a new era of technology in education. We will invest $300,000 during the next 14 months by hiring a Vice President of Technology, engaging in professional development for staff, upgrading technology infrastructure and wiring, installing classroom projectors, and providing teachers and staff with new computing devices, thereby setting the stage for providing students with computing devices. We will continue to urge our students to use technology responsibly and ethically while developing interpersonal relationship skills.
- We plan to expand our Guidance Department by hiring a full-time counselor to specialize in Career Counseling services for students.
- We will expand our Biomedical Science Program by adding a new course titled “Human Body Systems,” the second course in the nationally recognized Project Lead the Way Biomedical Science curriculum. The foundational course, “Principles of the Biomedical Sciences,” will continue.
- In partnership with several colleges and universities, we are adding eight dual credit courses in English, Accounting, Teacher Education, and Marketing.
- We are creating a Master Teacher position. The purpose of this enhancement is to integrate and sustain daily professional development of our faculty. Duties will include observing classrooms, providing prompt feedback to teachers, facilitating scheduled strategy discussions among faculty groups, and appraising teachers’ performance in concert with our Principal, Mr. Hegarty.
- In Campus Ministry, we will build upon the successful experience we had this year by continuing and enhancing underclass retreats next year. Our partnership with the University of Notre Dame will continue. This partnership has brought us additional staff resources to coordinate and plan programs that foster a strong Catholic culture here at Scecina.
- Starting with an expanded all-staff retreat for the 2014 – 2015 year, we will develop faith formation opportunities for our staff throughout the year and on an ongoing basis.
- We will improve our building and classrooms by replacing lintels above gymnasium windows, tuck pointing sections of masonry, painting classrooms and stairways, and installing additional security cameras and new classroom lights.
- We are preparing for the future through our Strategic Growth Plan. A top priority is to develop a Facility Master Plan that reflects our mission and helps us all to live it. Please look for more information on this exciting development as the year progresses.
These improvements and ongoing programs are funded through a combination of alumni and friends’ support, parish and archdiocesan support, and tuition. They will add to our existing programs, which include:
Looking ahead, the 2014-2015 school year will surely be a memorable one. Our current programs and these planned improvements will enhance the student experience and continue advancing the mission of Scecina Memorial High School.
Thank you for your commitment and generous support of our school. I look forward to your continued involvement.
Posted on Thu, June 5, 2014
by Tom Branson filed under