New school year starts for 451 Scecina students
Junior Jackie Kennedy gives a tour of the school to some of Scecina's international students. Scecina has nine international students thanks to an exchange program through Foreign Links Around the Globe, or FLAG.
On behalf of the staff at Scecina Memorial High School, I want to welcome everyone to the new school year. We continue to show growth in enrollment and, with 451 students starting school this year, we are well on the way to our target enrollment of 475 students in the next few years.
We welcomed the Class of 2019 with 128 freshmen, as well as 29 transfer students, and their families.
Whether your family is new to Scecina, or you’ve been a member of the Crusader community for years, you’ll be pleased to find many upgrades to our school this year.
- Students ate in the renovated cafeteria for the first time this week. The cafeteria is newly painted, brightly lit and decked with a new floor (and nine coats of wax!) You can see before and after photos at www.scecina.org/cafeteria-renovation.
- Our Biomedical Science program -- a partnership with Project Lead The Way -- begins its third year at Scecina. The program is designed to prepare students to pursue postsecondary education and careers in the biomedical sciences.
- The city of Indianapolis has upgraded and added sidewalks and curbs in front of and close to our school, making the area safer for students and staff as well as our neighbors and visitors.
- There’s a new bike rack, a gift from the Class of 2015, by the East Gym entrance for staff, student and visitors.
- We are in the process of replacing the computers in the library to improve access to research and activity resources as well as provide technology for state-required assessments.
The fall is a busy time at school. Taking part in some of our many activities is the best way to get to know your students’ friends and other parents. We hope you can come to Back to School/Meet the Teachers Night at 7 p.m. Aug. 26; get out to cheer on one of our sports teams; attend homecoming at 6 p.m. Sept. 5 versus Park Tudor High School; and join in the fun at our annual fundraising event, Club 53: Live and Local, on Nov. 14.
We know that, with our great students, staff and parents, we can make it a year to remember!
Posted on Fri, August 21, 2015
by Beth Murphy