In 1952, there was sufficient need and desire for a Catholic co-educational high school on the Eastside of Indianapolis. A plot of land at 5000 Nowland Avenue was purchased in conjunction with a successful $1 million fund drive, and on August 21, 1952, ground was broken, with the cornerstone being laid on December 21, 1952. On September 21, 1953, classes began for 128 freshman girls and 127 freshman boys under Father Harry Hoover, who, as founding principal, had overseen the construction of the school.
The dedication of the school to Father Thomas Scecina, the only archdiocesan priest to give his life for his country in World War II, took place on October 18, 1953. The first class of 219 students graduated in June 1957 and, within a decade, Scecina Memorial High School grew to a school of 1,400 students.
In August 2013, the school opened its doors for its 60th anniversary year. Scecina Memorial is the first archdiocesan high school in Indianapolis to reach this historic milestone. Throughout its first 60 years, the school has continued its tradition to “give that little extra.” With great gratitude and reverence for its past, we look forward to another 60 years of motivating our diverse and gifted community of students to attain educational excellence, be lifelong learners, and live as servant leaders in the inspiring footsteps of Father Thomas Scecina.