Thankful hearts for blessings at Scecina
|Scecina students load trucks with boxes of the 9,288 cans they collected for food pantries.
Our hearts are grateful for many recent Scecina successes. This Thanksgiving, let me count some of the many blessings:
- Club 53: Live and Local was a big success, both in generating financial support for our students for tuition assistance, student life and athletics, and also in bringing more than 500 people in our Crusader community together for a night of fellowship and fun.
- Our weekly Student Spotlights are shining on the academic achievements of our students.
- Three of our teachers, Mrs. Rosswurm, Mr. Getty and Mr. Smith, traveled to New Orleans for the National Council for Social Studies conference and returned re-energized to practice what they learned in their classrooms.
- Our library modernization project is moving forward as our architect presented a refined floor plan and we develop a final financial estimate of the project’s cost.
- Our football team won the Sectional Championship.
- Our students exhibited generosity and Christian service by gathering 9,288 cans of food for the hungry during the Student Council’s annual canned food drive.
- 128 fifth-graders from Holy Spirit, Little Flower, OLL and St. Michael Greenfield, as well as some Scecina students, heard from a panel of Catholics as they discussed their vocations: Father Juan Valdez of Holy Spirit; Sister Sheila Hackett of Scecina; Deacon Mike Braun, parent of Scecina alumni and archdiocesan executive director of pastoral ministries; and Steve and Joan Gutzwiller, Holy Spirit Parish.
For all who have shared their gifts with Scecina, we thank you. We especially thank God for His many blessings. Let’s also remember the poor and the lonely at this time of year, and be inspired to serve them and others in need of mercy.
May you and your loved ones have a joyous Thanksgiving,
Posted on Wed, November 25, 2015
by Beth Murphy