Share |

Tim McGinley talks about basketball at Scecina, Joe Sexson, and success

Scecina graduate Tim McGinley ’58 was inducted into Marian University’s Clayton Family Circle of Honor on April 9. McGinley played basketball at Purdue University and went on to found House Investments and chair Purdue's Board of Trustees for 16 years.

Scecina interviewed McGinley after he was honored. Here are excerpts of the interview: 

You and (fellow honoree) Allison Melangton discussed the role of athletics in your life, and you mentioned the late Joe Sexson (the 1952 Indiana Mr. Basketball who played at Purdue and was drafted by the New York Knicks). Some people don’t realize he coached at Scecina. 

“He was only the coach at Scecina for two years, my senior year and the next year, and then he went to Purdue (as assistant coach). He was later varsity coach at Butler. ... He was quite an athlete. 

“Scecina started (in 1953) with just freshmen and sophomores, and I came in as a sophomore. … It was rough because we didn’t have juniors and seniors, and we didn’t have a winning season. Then Joe came in as coach my senior year. We ended up having a terrific year. He made the program successful and we had a great season.” 

You said Joe Sexson had a big effect on your life. 

“Yes, in the very first game of my senior year at Scecina, we played Tech, and I was the captain. Well, we lost the game, and I played particularly poorly. I hit only about 5 of 20 shots. I was really down and went in to see (Sexson) and apologize for shooting so many times and not performing, and I went on and on. Finally, he said: “Are you finished? I don’t want to hear any more. Don’t feel sorry for yourself. You go out and shoot 20 times in the next game or you’ll be sitting next to me on the bench. 

“That was a critical time for me in my basketball career, and we went on to have a great season and almost beat a great Crispus Attucks team in the Sectional. So I remember that as a real turning point for me.” 

At the ceremony, you discussed how playing sports contributes to success in other areas of life. 

People tend to celebrate athletes who really do well in a future life in athletics. The halls of fame are full of people who are good at the sport and made money in it, which is less than 1 percent. The other 99 percent go on and use the lessons of athletics to have success in other walks of life, whether lawyers or businessmen or teachers. There’s a need to recognize that as well. That’s where the majority are going to make an impact in their community.” 

Marian announced a scholarship in your name with a preference for a Scecina student. How did that come about? 

“They create a scholarship from the dinner proceeds. They put in $50,000 and then they allow you to have say in developing the criteria, so I established this scholarship for a student who played varsity athletics, any sport, male or female, and is enrolling at the School of Education at Marian with a preference for a Scecina graduate.” 

Related story: Tim McGinley inducted into Marian University's Circle of Honor

3 comments (Add your own)

1. Tom Kirchner. 1960. wrote:
That season(1958) was memorable. I believe our record was 16-4. There was the Center who was nicknamed “Cookie”, approximately 6 foot four inches. We loved to watch him dunk the ball during the game warm up, not allowed during the game.
Then came the sectional game with Crispus Attucks. Tim McGinley had a terrific two handed set shot. The last I remember was that we had the ball with 20 seconds on the clock. From that point Attucks tied the game. Tied us in the first overtime. And then won in the sudden death overtime by hitting the first shot. (All memories subject to revision)

Tue, April 16, 2019 @ 8:56 PM

2. Dan Hagan wrote:
Tim McGinley was an outstanding basketball player both at Scecina and Purdue. More important he has been an outstanding leader in his profession and with his philanthropy. I also witnessed that game against Crispus Attucks and it was a thriller. I believe Attucks went on to when the state basketball championship. Tim was always very humble.
Dan Hagan - Class of 1958

Thu, April 18, 2019 @ 10:48 PM

3. Carolyn Sue (Presser) Gross (1958) wrote:
Congratulations Tim, You were destined to do well and go far in your life.

Fri, April 19, 2019 @ 9:25 AM

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.