Top 10 highlights of Crusaders basketball season
Crusader senior TJ Henderson puts up a shot against the Cathedral Irish during the City Tournament.
By Cari Gallagher '93
An exciting 2014-15 Crusader varsity basketball season has come to an end. The team defeated Howe in the IHSAA 2A Sectional semifinal, a rematch of the City Tournament final, to make it into the Sectional Championship game, won by defending state champion Park Tudor.
Here are the Top 10 highlights of the season:
- On Friday, Jan. 30, the Crusaders were celebrating Red and Gold night and playing conference rival Triton Central. Senior Brian Tutrow tied the school record for the most field goals in a single game with eight 3-pointers. Brian shares this record with his brother Justin Tutrow ’11.
- During a crosstown matchup with the Cardinal Ritter Raiders, on Feb. 6, senior Zach Rutland surpassed 1,000 career points. Zach also holds the school record for most assists in a single game with 14.
- TJ Henderson ’15 finished his Scecina basketball career as the school’s all-time leading scorer with over 1,500 points.
- On Monday, Jan. 26, the Scecina Crusaders made school history by appearing in both the Junior Varsity and Varsity City Championship games.
- Defensive stand out DaKwon Brooks brought down 22 rebounds in a single game to break a longstanding Scecina school record.
- Coach Rob New has achieved 50 wins in his three seasons at Scecina.
- During the Senior Night Celebration on Tuesday, Feb. 24, 10 seniors were recognized for their participation during the 2014-15 season. These student-athletes are Nate Canterbury, Jake Okerson, Brian Tutrow, Keynan Kirby, Gary Bonds, Zach Rutland, Josh Rutland, Delano Coffy, DaKwon Brooks and TJ Henderson.
- Six team members have earned recognition for participating in the basketball program for all four years. They are Jake Okerson, Brian Tutrow, Keynan Kirby, Gary Bonds, Zach Rutland and Josh Rutland.
- Senior Jake Okerson earned ICC Academic All-Conference honors this season by maintaining a career GPA of 3.76 or above while participating as a varsity athlete.
- Three Crusaders from the Class of 2015 earned a place on the list of Top 100 Indiana High School Basketball Players. They are Gary Bonds, TJ Henderson and Zach Rutland.
Posted on Fri, March 20, 2015
by Beth Murphy filed under