The Crusader Class of 2013 recently completed their high school careers with many stellar accomplishments! Gratefully, I congratulate and extend all best wishes to all of these fine young people as the next chapters in their promising young lives unfold. If I were to make a “Top 10 + 1” list of positive news during the past year that has meaning to our students, parents, alumni, and friends, it would look like this:
- Elizabeth (Betsy) Griffin, a member of Holy Spirit Parish and the daughter of Kevin and Maureen Griffin, was named one of only 40 Indiana Academic All-Stars by the Indianapolis Star.
- Athletically, the softball team is 2013 State Champions; the football team was 2012 State Runner-Up; the boys basketball team earned a regional appearance; and numerous individual student-athletes advanced to the regional or semi-state levels of the IHSAA state tournament.
- We have created a Vice Principal position that will focus on faculty professional development, student retention, campus security, and student activities. Mr. Francisco Gomez, a member of the Class of 1998, began his duties in this role on July 1, 2013.
- We will begin the first year of a four-year biomedical sciences curriculum in the fall of 2013 through a unique partnership with Project Lead the Way.
- We are projecting our second consecutive freshmen class of 100+ students.
- The Giving Back, Looking Forward annual appeal is at 105 percent of goal through contributions of more than $733,000 from generous alumni and friends.
- The recent Alumni Golf Classic that funds the annual Ken Leffler Scholarship reached its financial goal.
- The school building has wireless internet access throughout the building for the benefit of our students, teachers, and guests.
- We are performing approximately $300,000 of capital improvements through financial and in-kind support this summer.
- In the context of all the above accomplishments, and more, we are projecting our fourth consecutive operating surplus.
+ 1 AND we have submitted our proposed Strategic Growth Plan to the Archdiocese of Indianapolis for review and approval following a year-long initiative that engaged more than 200 members of our community in envisioning and shaping a shared and exciting vision for our future. Please look for more information later this summer or fall.
Thank you for supporting our unique mission of educating students in the inspiring footsteps of Father Thomas Scecina. May God richly bless you always, including our celebration on July 4th of the freedoms that He has freely and generously given us.